- 10 Tips for CNC Router Aluminum Cutting Success
- 10 Things Beginning CNC Milling Machine Users Need to Succeed
- Secrets of Going From CAD, Image, DXF, or STL to GCode for CNC and 3D Printing
- 8 Brands to Consider for the World’s Best Screwdriver
- CNC Router Cutter Types and How to Use Them
- CNC Machine Hourly Rate Calculator
- It Finally Happened: 5 Axis CNC for the DIY and Maker
- Why Use a Single Flute End Mill?
- CNC 4th Axis Basics: What They Can Do
- 6 Things A Brand New CNC’er Should Learn to Get Started
- 4 Brands to Consider for the World's Best T-Handle Hex Keys
- [CNC Chef Video] Chip Thinning: Clear and Present Danger if Ignored
- 8 Brands to Consider for the World's Best Screwdriver
- Feedrates for Entering Cuts and Other New G-Wizard Features
- Getting the Best Performance from ER Collet Chucks
- Major Milestone for Our Free GD&T Course
- 10 Tips for CNC Router Aluminum Cutting Success
- Have You Seen the Free Software and Huge Discounts We Offer to CNC'ers?
- Ultimate Benchtop CNC Mini Mill Part 7: Spindle, Drawbar, and Toolchanger
- Help: I Need to Choose the Best Machine For My CNC Business!
Join 50,000+ CNC'ers! Get our latest blog posts delivered straight to your email inbox once a week for free. Plus, we’ll give you access to some great CNC reference materials including:
- Our Big List of over 200 CNC Tips and Techniques
- Our Free GCode Programming Basics Course
- And more!
There’s a minor release out, 2.49, that I’ve just uploaded. It primarily concerns adding some new materials:
– AR400 and AR500 abrasion resistant steel plate. Use this for buckets on excavators or it is also popular for making firearms targets.
– Hastelloy X: One of those solid green unobtanium super alloys. It’s a nickel alloy…
Recently a user of G-Wizard Calculator asked to understand better the difference between Calculator’s CADCAM Wizards and its Feeds and Speeds Calculator. It’s a fair question as they look totally different and the CADCAM Wizards are so unique nobody will have had experience with anything like them before they tried G-Wizard.
Let’s start with the…
An important concept that pops up from time to time is a CNC machine’s ability to accelerate. Acceleration is often the real limiting factor to the machine’s motion, more so than absolute rapids speeds, for example. In many real world g-code programs, the cutter may never get up to the commanded speed in some of…
It seems an unlikely combination, but when you’re an entrepreneur, anything is possible. Luke Colby’s company, Rocket Thermodynamix, makes parts for rockets. I’m talking about full-on beautifully machined aerospace quality components. Here is a typical example:
A pyrotechnic actuated poppet valve…
Yeah, I don’t know what you’d use one of these for either. Maybe Luke…
I just uploaded G-Wizard Calculator version 2.45. Release 2.45 fixes a couple of bugs to do with error messages and adds the new Crib Wizard to the Tool Crib page. The Crib Wizard is capable of automatically generating Tool Crib entries for endmills or twist drills in standard sizes. In addition, Tool Cribs now have…
So you’ve just gotten interested in CNC, and you notice the waters look a little deep. How do you get started?
Here are 6 things you should learn about first, before you buy a CNC machine, before you do anything else, just to get oriented and see what this CNC thing is all about. It…
I just uploaded GW Calculator version 2.4 to the install page. Lots of neat stuff in this release:
– Added Lathe Threading as a new Tool Type in Feeds/Speeds.
– Added a Threading CADCAM Wizard.
– Added the ability to transfer thread specs from the Thread Database to the Threading CADCAM Wizard.
– Added a…
I’m pleased to announce that FASTech, one of the Top 10 Mastercam dealers, is now offering G-Wizard Calculator to customers to help them with their Feeds and Speeds. These folks are a wonderful resource to the Mastercam community and are responsible for the eMastercam online community for Mastercam users. Their territory is Ohio and Eastern…
I’ve uploaded a couple of minor feature releases of GW Calculator lately and wanted to bring you up to speed on what new goodies are there. First thing is the latest release is GWC version 2.38 and it is available for download by clicking this link.
Now let’s go over what all is there:
I got a note from a customer who wanted to understand better why GW Calculator works the way it does with Cut Depth on Ballnosed endmills. Specifically, he had a cut where he wanted to enter the full diameter of the tool, but he was being limited to effective diameter, which was smaller. When depth…
I have just uploaded G-Wizard Calculator v2.36 to the install page. It adds two more CADCAM Wizards for lathes: ID Turning (boring) and Facing. CADCAM Wizards have three advantages over just using the basic Feeds and Speeds applet in GW Calculator:
1. They’re faster and simpler. You have to tell the CADCAM Wizards a lot…
I get mail with that kind of message every so often. A machinist uses G-Wizard Calculator and it gives them a higher feedrate, sometimes quite a bit higher, than his CAM software or other feeds and speeds calculators. The chipload is the same, and the formula to go from chipload to feedrate is simple, so…
I just uploaded G-Wizard Calculator version 2.30 (download here) which has some great new goodies. Check it out:
New OD Turning CADCAM Wizard
The CADCAM Wizard’s are designed to get you feeds and speeds in a form that is ideally suited for your CAM program and with as few keystrokes as possible. The new OD…
We have quite a large audience of CNC Router users here on CNCCookbook. Their needs are quite a bit different than the average metalworker’s needs for machining feeds and speeds due to their chosen materials (mostly soft materials like wood, foam board, and plastics) as well as differences in their tooling (special cutters including downcut…
Here at CNCCookbook, we’re always striving to put our More Good Stuff. It’s what we do, whether the Good Stuff is new machining articles or updates to our software. Today I uploaded G-Wizard Calculator version 2.28 (click that link to get to the dowload page). It’s got a number of improvements under the hood: