- 10 Tips for CNC Router Aluminum Cutting Success
- 10 Things Beginning CNC Milling Machine Users Need to Succeed
- Secrets of Going From CAD, Image, DXF, or STL to GCode for CNC and 3D Printing
- 8 Brands to Consider for the World’s Best Screwdriver
- CNC Router Cutter Types and How to Use Them
- CNC Machine Hourly Rate Calculator
- It Finally Happened: 5 Axis CNC for the DIY and Maker
- Why Use a Single Flute End Mill?
- CNC 4th Axis Basics: What They Can Do
- 6 Things A Brand New CNC’er Should Learn to Get Started
- 4 Brands to Consider for the World's Best T-Handle Hex Keys
- [CNC Chef Video] Chip Thinning: Clear and Present Danger if Ignored
- 8 Brands to Consider for the World's Best Screwdriver
- Feedrates for Entering Cuts and Other New G-Wizard Features
- Getting the Best Performance from ER Collet Chucks
- Major Milestone for Our Free GD&T Course
- 10 Tips for CNC Router Aluminum Cutting Success
- Have You Seen the Free Software and Huge Discounts We Offer to CNC'ers?
- Ultimate Benchtop CNC Mini Mill Part 7: Spindle, Drawbar, and Toolchanger
- Help: I Need to Choose the Best Machine For My CNC Business!
Join 50,000+ CNC'ers! Get our latest blog posts delivered straight to your email inbox once a week for free. Plus, we’ll give you access to some great CNC reference materials including:
- Our Big List of over 200 CNC Tips and Techniques
- Our Free GCode Programming Basics Course
- And more!
Here’s a rundown on what’s new lately in G-Wizard Calculator and Editor’s latest versions:
Release 2.77 adds A513 Low Carbon Steel. If we’re missing a material you’re interested in, just drop us an email. We can frequently add it fairly quickly just like we recently did for A513 and before that for the…
The latest version of G-Wizard Calculator, v2.75, adds Cobalt Chrome to our list of Materials.
“What is Cobalt Chrome?” you might ask. Why it’s just what the Dr ordered, almost literally. CoCr is the common abbreviation. There are several alloys available such as ASTM F75 or F799. CoCr is extremely resistant to temperature, corrosion, and…
Just posted a new video in our G-Wizard University series. The G-Wizard University is a set of short videos focused on specific features. The idea is to make it easy to quickly delve into a good tutorial on how to use whatever feature you’re interested in for our G-Wizard Software.
The quickest way to find…
Wow, we got almost 700 votes for some 75 different end mill brands in just a few days. This has been one of our most popular surveys ever.
Here are the results:
The Major Brands accounted for 75% of the votes. The breakdown is as follows:
Major brand market share: these brands accounted…
I just uploaded a new video to the G-Wizard Calculator University pages that explains Spindle Power Curves:
Spindle Power Curves let you compensate for changes in your CNC machine’s spindle output at various rpms and they can also downrate the power on small machines to compensate for their lack of rigidity.…
Here at CNCCookbook, we get visitors from all ends of the CNC spectrum–about 2.5 million of them a year. In all probability, we are the most popular pure CNC blog there is. I try to keep a balance on the content to keep the ends of that spectrum of visitors happy. That means we need…
I just uploaded two new G-Wizard University Videos. G-Wizard University is a series of short 10-15 minute training videos that specialize in different aspects of using the G-Wizard Calculator and Editor software. Videos are a fast way to learn for most people and these bit-sized videos make it easier to find one specific to what…
We’re embarking on a new program to make training for our software fully available as short easily digested YouTube videos. The plan is to do one or two new videos each week until we’ve covered our products top to bottom. The first video is up and is an introduction and basic walk through of G-Wizard…
I just uploaded G-Wizard Calculator Release 2.56 for PC and Mac users. There are a couple of nice goodies in this release that have been widely requested by the user base:
Manual Recalculation for CADCAM Wizards
Folks on machines that are a little slower have never really liked the automatic recalculation for CADCAM Wizards. It…
I recently chatted with a G-Wizard Calculator customer who was having problems with tool life. He had been able to increase it tremendously over what it had been before they had G-Wizard, but it was still unacceptible. He suspected the problem was too much tool deflection and wanted to consult with me for suggestions on…
Upgrading software is a fact of life. Most of the time its a good thing–bugs get fixed and features get added. At CNCCookbook, we try to keep everyone pretty up to date on the available releases for G-Wizard Calculator and G-Wizard Editor. Most of the time, if a bug is discovered that escaped our testing,…
Well, if you’re not afraid of tool deflection, you should be. Here are 7 things to know about it:
1. Tool Deflection is bad for Tool Life
Tool Deflection is bad for Tool Life in several ways:
– It’s actually forcing the tool to bend. Like a paperclip, if you bend it back and forth…
I get a lot of notes from beginners with very basic questions, and many of the questions boil down to needing to understand the jargon of CNC or needing to understanding how the pieces fit together. The vast majority of others need to get to the next level of detail and it’s not far out…
I had a customer ask me how to calculate Feeds and Speeds for Trochoidal Milling with G-Wizard Calculator the other day. G-Wizard is a perfect tool for finding these Feeds and Speeds, but first, what is Trochoidal Milling?
Trochoidal Milling is a High Speed Machining (HSM) technique that moves the tool in a shape called…
Geometry has a profound effect on your cutter’s health and well-being, not to mention your surface finish and material removal rates. Here is an Infographic that walks through 4 ways geometry can affect your machining along with what you can do about it in each case:…