Excuse our mess, I’m doing a pretty major overhaul on the CNCCookbook web site.
Every so often it’s a good idea to refurbish and replenish. CNCCookbook has been around for many years. I’ve lost track of the exact year it was created, but it was sometime in the early 2000’s. As I write this, there are approximately 2500 pages on the site. 1700 of those are part of the blog and are hosted via WordPress. The rest are all static web pages I created before I got started with WordPress.
When I started CNCCookbook, WordPress was in its infancy. It was introduced in 2003 and since then has gone on to be the most popular website platform in the world. About 25% of the world’s websites are based on WordPress. The major goal of this overhaul is to get all the pages into WordPress so that everything is under one roof.
That will yield a number of advantages, not the least of which is that it’ll be a lot easier for me to manage this monster website and ensure it continues to consistently improve. Some of the major things you can look forward to are:
- WordPress does a lot better job on mobile devices and small screens. As more and more of our visitors are viewing the site on mobile devices, I want to ensure their experience keeps getting better. I’ll be doing a fair amount of work here.
- Security. The site is currently http-only, and I’ll be taking it to https. This will make it more secure. We’ve never been hacked and I don’t want to start any time soon!
- Improved design aesthetics. Once all the pages are under one roof, it’s a lot easier to work on making them look uniformly better. The older pages are a compromise that can be made a lot better. This will be the last part of the process, but in general, I want to try to reduce the clutter to a minimum and create a cleaner look.
There’s a lot more small details and benefits, but those are the big ticket items.
I expect the process to take about a month and we’ll finish up in October. If you see anything obviously broken, do drop me a note so I can tend to it.
Like what you read on CNCCookbook?
Join 100,000+ CNC'ers! Get our latest blog posts delivered straight to your email inbox once a week for free. Plus, we’ll give you access to some great CNC reference materials including:
- Our Big List of over 200 CNC Tips and Techniques
- Our Free GCode Programming Basics Course
- And more!
Just enter your name and email address below:
100% Privacy: We will never Spam you!